To avoid being accused of just being negative I thought I’d put out what I think the certifying bodies can do. After all, each has a well organized marketing and training team.
It would not be hard and they could add value to Agile. It would take the following steps:
- acknowledge that certifying people is misleading. A 2-4 day course has only a minor impact on people. Just give accreditation that they’ve taken the course.
- admit that their approach is a good approach for certain situations, and specify what those situations are
- acknowledge that there is more to learn and that everything can be improved. That no one (including the person running the organization) has all the answers.
- encourage their trainers to learn news methods instead of forbidding them to do so
- understand that in the long wrong, the customers’ best interest is more important than selling a particular approach
- adopt modern training methods
- don’t preclude things that everyone needs but give no competitive advantage
Bottom line, put truth before marketing.